Proliferation of heterogeneous systems creates a pressing need for data sharing and data consistency. When many different systems collect data about master entities – customers, products, suppliers, employees, accounts, etc. – you can be certain that you’ll find inconsistencies, conflicts, and confusion. At best, conflict and confusion leads to waste and inefficiency in business process. More severe consequences include damaged credibility and reputation when errors and inconsistencies are visible to customers, suppliers, and employees. Today’s complex business and information systems must synchronize master data. That is the role and purpose of Master Data Management (MDM) systems.
MDM is not a casual endeavor. It is a complex data management challenge that requires a formal and well-managed program. The unique challenges of an MDM program are often not apparent even to seasoned data management professionals. The complexities of managing identities and resolving conflicts among disparate data sources make MDM an ambitious undertaking that must address business, architectural, people, process, project, and technology dimensions to succeed.
This course provides a comprehensive look at the elements of an MDM program and the key success factors for MDM.
You will learn:
This course is geared towards:
- The what and why of Master Data Management (MDM)
- A variety of architectural approaches to MDM and how to determine which is the best fit for your MDM program
- The human dimension of MDM including roles and responsibilities of sponsors, managers, analysts, architects, designers, and developers
- The state of MDM technologies along with techniques and guidelines for tool selection
- The process dimension of MDM including impacts upon business processes and information management processes
- The project perspective of MDM including organizing and executing the activities of planning, requirements analysis, design, development, testing, data migration, and implementation.
- MDM Program and Project Managers
- MDM Analysts, Designers, and Developers
- Business Data Owners, Data Stewards, and Data Consumers
- Data Architects
- Information Systems Project Managers
- Data Integration Program and Project Managers
- Data Stewards, Data Governance Professionals, and Data Quality Practitioners
MDM-04 MDM Architecture and Implementation
MDM-04-00 About the Course (7 min)
MDM-04-01 Introduction (54 min)
MDM-04-02 MDM Architecture (90 min)
- MDM Overview
- MDM Justification and Outcomes
- Master Data Management for Customers
MDM-04-03 MDM Tool Selection (48 min)
- Architecture Approaches
- Conforming Dimensions for the Enterprise
- Data Quality
- Syndicated Data
- Additional Considerations
MDM-04-04 MDM Project Execution (77 min)
- Process Considerations
- Proof of Concept and Final Selection
- MDM Project Management
- MDM Project Roles and Responsibilities
- Organizing and Planning for MDM Success
- Case Study
–here- to download a more detailed outline of this course.