Logical Data Modeling also known as Entity/Relationship (E-R) Modeling is a key method for getting a handle on the data requirements of an organization. Logical data models provide a database independent solution to data requirements which then can be driven forward to become effective database designs.
This online training course covers the concepts and notation of logical data modeling and shows the steps needed to create and extend logical data models. Many exercises and examples are included to enhance learning.
In addition, the course goes beyond these fundamentals. The situation where a new data model must be created from scratch is one of many situations, so this course shows how to handle other situations such as: building from industry or canonical data models; extending legacy data models; and extending software package data models. In addition, data model patterns will be introduced such as: history and audit modeling, multi-business unit modeling, codes and reference data, and user defined attributes. Understanding these situations and patterns, is critical to success in data modeling.
You will learn:
This course is geared towards:
- HOW TO create, extend and apply logical data models
- HOW TO use data modeling to meet business and performance requirements
- HOW TO lead your team through the data modeling process
- HOW TO avoid data modeling traps, problems, and time wasters
- HOW TO make databases more robust through data modeling
- HOW TO effectively communicate data models and database designs to others
- Anyone who will be using or creating data models.
- Business Analysts and Architects
- Database Administrators and Analysts
- Data Administrators and Data Modelers
- Information Technology Managers, Project Managers
- Application Development Project Team Members
Logical Data Modeling Course Outline
DM-05-00 About the Course (7 min)|
DM-05-01 Introduction (54 min)
DM-05-02 Determining Requirements (35 min)
- Introduction to Data Modeling
- The Entity Relationship Model
- Introduction to LDM Methodology
DM-05-03 Modeling Entities & Relationships (36 min)
- Determine Scope and Purpose
- Define Business Subject Areas
- Identify Business Functions
- Identify Data Requirements
DM-05-04 Modeling Attributes & Keys (60 min)
- Modeling Entities
- Modeling Relationships
DM-05-05 Professional Data Modeling (67 min)
- Modeling Attributes
- Modeling Keys
- Rationalizing the Model
- Data Modeling Situations
- Data Modeling Deliverables
- In Conclusion
Click - here - to download a more detailed outline of this course.