Module 0. About the Course (5 min)
This 3-hour online training course will explore how curating and cataloging work together to meet the data needs of business and data analysts, to provide self-service data to complement self-service analytics, and to realize the promise of democratizing data analytics.
As the world of data management grows and changes, the roles and participants in data ecosystems must adapt. With the convergence of several influences – big data, self-service analytics, and self-service data preparation – we need to actively manage the inventory of self-service data. Data curation is both a data inventory management process and a data governance activity. The data curator is responsible to oversee a collection of data assets and make it available to and findable by anyone who needs data. Cataloging maintains the collection of metadata that is necessary to support browsing, searching, evaluating, accessing, and securing datasets.
You will learn:
This course is geared towards:
- The concepts, responsibilities, and skills of data curation
- The role of the data curator in data governance and the differences between a data curator and a data steward
- The needs of data seekers and the ways that curating and cataloging help to meet
- The purpose, content, and uses of a data catalog
- The state of data cataloging tools and technology
- Guidelines for getting started with data curating and cataloging
- Business and IT leaders struggling with the paradoxes of modern data management
- Analytics and BI designers and developers who are dependent on fresh and relevant data for every analytics use case
- Data management professionals at all levels from architects to engineers
- Data governance professionals – especially data stewards who need to adapt to the changing world of modern data management
Module 1. Self-Service Data (9 min)
Module 2. Data Curation (44 min)
- Governance and Self-Service
- How We Got Here
- Why Self-Service Data?
Module 3. Data Cataloging (30 min)
- Data Curation
- Why Data Curation?
- The Data Curator
- Data Lifecycles and Curation
- Curating Big Data
- Getting Started with Data Curation
Module 4. Evaluating Data Catalog Tools (42 min)
- Why Data Cataloging?
- Metadata and the Catalog
- Data Catalog Tools
- Getting Started with Data Cataloging
Module 5. Beyond Self-Service Data (44 min)
- The Business Case for a Data Catalog
- Kinds of Data Catalogs
- Evaluation Criteria
- Information, Technology, and Data
- The Enterprise Data Marketplace
- EDM Architecture
- EDM Data Services
- Data as a Service
-here- to download a more detailed outline of this course.